Working Group

#1071 BIM/Haystack Working Group (NEW)

Georgios Grigoriou Fri 9 Jun 2023

I reopen the BIM/Haystack WG because I am dealing with it and want to help towards connecting the worlds of BIM and Project Haystack.

From design to construction and commissioning, the same data and information have been generated over and over again leading to an increased total cost of ownership of each entity. This leads to a manual, labor-intensive process to "map" the data before value creation can begin. Pragmatic use of ontology-based metadata schemas can make it more cost-effective to analyze, visualize, and derive value from our design and operational data.

Bridging common BIM IFC classes with the Haystack convention is the focus of the group to enhance Haystack capability to work with BIM data. This working group would specifically address Project Haystack and the potential to integrate Haystack data modeling with the BIM standard to streamline the handoff of essential facility data from the design/retrofit/construction phase to the operational phase of a building's life.

Now more than ever when companies like Autodesk introduce their digital twin capabilities, I think it's a great time to integrate BIM with Project Haystack!

Matt Steen Thu 22 Jun 2023

Some potential areas of overlap with other similar initiatives.

• NREL-PNNL collaboration to develop semantic metadata models (Brick and ASHRAE 223P) from BIMs, which I'm involved in.
  • Energy Modeling via the USA affiliate of the International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA-USA) Building Data Exchange (BDE) committee. Justin Schulz from Page is leading the BIM working group. https://bde.ibpsa.us/about/

Georgios Grigoriou Fri 23 Jun 2023

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing. I will have a look. It would be good if ways of collaboration can be identified. Happy to have a chat on that.

I think another potential direct work of this group could be to extend and define better Building Device and Asset Naming Standards Initiative (BDNS) for Project Haystack

https://github.com/theodi/BDNS

In this initiative, people defined Abbreviations for a number of different assets ( https://github.com/theodi/BDNS/blob/master/BDNS_Abbreviations_Register.csv) with ifcClass and ifcType if applicable. I think a great step will be to add Project Haystack tags, defs, taxonomy, and ontology there and expand this great work that people have done as well.

What are the community's thoughts on that?

Georgios Grigoriou Wed 19 Jul 2023

Hi All,

FYI, I shared with everyone our dedicated repository for capturing information.

The first meeting will take place on the 4th of September. If anyone hasn't received the invitation please let me know.

If anyone else is interested and is not on the list, please create an account in Project Haystack if you haven't one and join the group.

Best Regards, Georgios Grigoriou

Sam Norledge Wed 9 Aug 2023

I've looked at the IfcClass & Type mappings on the BDNS for a few years now, it's not always the simplest but possible. Your suggestion to start there would make total sense.

Georgios Grigoriou Wed 6 Sep 2023

Hi all,

I hope you are well.

Just a reminder that today 06/09/2023 at 17:00 UK time we will have our first 1-hour meeting.

I'll try to record the session for those who can't attend

Best Regards,

Georgios Grigoriou

Georgios Grigoriou Wed 15 Nov 2023

Hi all,

I hope you are well.

Just a reminder that today 15/11/2023 at 17:00 UK time we will have our second 1-hour meeting.

Best Regards,

Georgios Grigoriou

Login or Signup to reply.