Working Group

#530 BIM/Haystack Working Group

Chris Renter Fri 1 Sep 2017

Today, most of design and operational data semantic modeling requires a manual, labor intensive process to "map" the data before value creation can begin. Pragmatic use of naming conventions and taxonomies can make it more cost effective to analyze, visualize, and derive value from our design and operational data.

Bridging common BIM IFC classes with the Haystack convention is the focus of the group to enhance Haytack capability to work with BIM data. This working group would specifically address Project Haystack and the potential to integrate Haystack data modeling with the BIM standard to streamline the hand off of essential facility data from the design/retrofit/construction phase to the operational phase of a building's life.

Please join as this is an exciting opportunity to advance Haystack capability to new areas of connection and value!

Gerrit Kraal Wed 10 Apr 2019

Good Initiative on bridging BIM to Haystack, but could one of you inform me what the status is on this. or where to find info on this?

Chris Renter Tue 16 Mar 2021

Work has been progressing on the Haystack/BIM.

It would appear that developing a method for bringing together the space/location capability of BIM with Haystack could provide considerable value.

Should this relationship be the focus for this working group?

John Petze Wed 17 Mar 2021

This subject continues to come up as organizations move to digital twins that combine "structural" and operational data. It was first proposed in 2013 at the very first Haystack Connect conference where we had a keynote speaker from Autodesk. At the time I think we all thought it would be well solved by now. Unfortunately the two worlds continue to be mostly separate in actual practice. It would be great to see a renewed effort by the community. It would be a great topic at the upcoming Haystack Connect 2021. It doesn't need to be fully solved to be a beneficial topic for presentation and/or a panel discussion.

Please consider submitting to speak on the subject.

Tom Boland Tue 8 Jun 2021

I'm interested in understanding the status and objectives of this WG.

John Petze Wed 9 Jun 2021

The objective of this group is to assemble community members that are fluent in BIM and others that are fluent in Haystack to work together to bridge the standards to enable more effective transfer of information through the design process. I think Chris' initial summary is a good summary of the goal/intent:

Bridging common BIM IFC classes with the Haystack convention is the focus of the group to enhance Haytack capability to work with BIM data. This working group would specifically address Project Haystack and the potential to integrate Haystack data modeling with the BIM standard to streamline the hand off of essential facility data from the design/retrofit/construction phase to the operational phase of a building's life.

Based on my current knowledge, the effort has not seen the necessary community participation to achieve the goals and bring work product back to the organization. If you know BIM it would be great to join the effort.

Perhaps others on the working group can comment or correct my response.

Jimmy Li Fri 2 Jul 2021

I think converting BIM IFC/RVT to Haystack is practical and much easier than the work in Brick.

Tom Boland Tue 13 Jul 2021

John that summary is clear. I am keen to participate in the group and to work toward these goals. Ideally I would like to set up a POC on a live project with a Haystack datasets and IFC files available. I can work with my team on the 3D visualisation. Can we set up a Teams/Zoom call within the group to set objectives?

John Petze Wed 14 Jul 2021

That is a question for the members of the working group. Group members please join into this discussion - there appears to be a new sense of momentum on this!

Georgios Grigoriou Fri 9 Jun 2023

Could someone inform me what the status is on this? I am looking at this quite closely over the last year and am interested in hearing more about it or joining the cause

Brian Frank Fri 9 Jun 2023

This working group has not done anything and probably needs a new champion if its going to go anywhere

Georgios Grigoriou Fri 9 Jun 2023

Thanks, Brian. I am happy to become the champion of that group and mobilize actions even further.

That sounds great George! Since this group originally formed in 2017, I'm not sure the current people who are signed up would still be interested. So I'm going to suggest you start a new topic on the forum that I will make a WG - and we can recruit a fresh working group. Then I will cancel this one and redirect to the new one.

We are canceling this work group to start fresh via 1071.

Login or Signup to reply.