#569 Initial HaystackBaler Core NuGet Packet Released

Greg Ingram Sat 16 Dec 2017

I've recently been trying to learn more about Project Haystack. To help support my curiosity, I started developing a set of tooling and APIs. I'm calling this... HaystackBaler. The project is developed based on C# and .NET Standard enabling the APIs to be used cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, etc.) and different form factors (PC, mobile, cloud, embedded, holographic, etc.)

My progress has been a little slow. Mainly because this learning/development has nothing to do with my day job and allocated resources are wedged into what little time I can offer at nights/weekends. Secondly, I'm finding it very difficult to find cheap and easy-to-use (and well-documented) compatible devices/services to connect/communicate/test with to improve functionality/bugs. Lastly, I'm a little discouraged on the amount of interaction and progress noticed on the website and internet searches while studying the Haystack protocol. Don't get me wrong as I think there is some good work accomplished by others and has great potential. However, I can honestly state... if I'm struggling with obstacles while trying to learn, then there are many others struggling with the same pain points. This, my friends, is what will kill productivity/enthusiasm/innovation around this protocol’s future.

I plan to continue working on improving HaystackBaler and accomplishing related objectives (when/if time allows). This effort is mainly to help self-educate on Project Haystack along with other technologies. However, there is no guarantee/commitment on future offerings with HaystackBaler. For example, I would like to release other APIs I’m working on like formatters (Zinc, JSON, etc.), client/server, container images, etc., etc. and eventually open-source the code to GitHub.

Until then, I uploaded the core HaystackBaler API to NuGet (which is my first ever published package). This includes the majority of protocol’s data types such as Boolean, Number, Marker, Grid, etc. You can find and reference the package at the following link/command and can use freely in your own apps:

https://www.nuget.org/packages/HaystackBaler.Haystack

Install-Package HaystackBaler.Haystack -Version 0.0.1

As usual, please USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I’m not liable for any damages and such. However, I appreciate any feedback and I’ll try my best to review. Also, I will greatly appreciate if you wish to donate any compatible devices/services (that are well-documented) so that I can easily connect with to improve HaystackBaler.

-Greg

John Petze Sun 17 Dec 2017

A number of companies offer software and hardware products that use Haystack and can be used for testing. Some include: Intellastar, J2 Innovations, SkyFoundry, BASSGm Kodaro and others. Email me at [email protected] to discuss how we might be able to help.

Login or Signup to reply.