Blog Post

#584 Reference Implementation WG Releases "Implementing Project Haystack Tagging for a Sample Building"

John Petze Wed 21 Feb 2018

The Reference Model Working Group is excited to release their work. The document entitled Implementing Project Haystack Applying Haystack Tagging for a Sample Building can be found at this link

The document takes the reader through the application of Haystack tagging for a sample project as an introduction, and includes a link to highly developed tagging example for comprehensive application of Haystack covering building systems including those listed below:

AHU, FCU, VAV, Chiller, Cooling Tower, Boiler, Fan, Pump, Electric, Gas, Domestic Hot Water

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this document! We believe it will be a great benefit for people getting started with Haystack.

Pun Mum Sat 19 May 2018

Thanks John. It is a very good document and a start point for understanding Haystack implementation.

Under Step 3: "Defining Relationships Between Entities with “ref” Tags":

You have mentioned siteRef as "@2180b666-430b2363 (Gaithersburg)"

I believe in actual implementation siteRef value will not contain "(Gaithersburg)". It is shown in this document only for understanding the concept.

Is my understanding correct ?

Also, in example 2 (CSV), id is shown as "@2180b666-430b2363 Gaithersburg". In example 3 and 4, id is shown as "Gaithersburg".

I understand, in all these cases, id should have value "@2180b666-430b2363" only. Please confirm.

Thanks in advance.

John Petze Mon 21 May 2018

Regarding,

I believe in actual implementation siteRef value will not contain "(Gaithersburg)". It is shown in this document only for understanding the concept.

Is my understanding correct ?

Yes it is shown for understanding the concept.

Regarding:

Also, in example 2 (CSV), id is shown as "@2180b666-430b2363 Gaithersburg". In example 3 and 4, id is shown as "Gaithersburg".

I understand, in all these cases, id should have value "@2180b666-430b2363" only. Please confirm.

You are correct that the unique identifier is @2180b666-430b2363, the additional text descriptor is provided by the sample application. Applications can add additional information for their own use. That is an example for an actual application.

I hope that helps.

Patrick, the primary co-author may be able to offer additional input for you.

Patrick Coffey Mon 21 May 2018

They were added to illustrate the concepts. Technically you could have the "@2180b666-430b2363_Gaithersburg" in the id, just not the whitespace character.

From the docs

Haystack doesn't prescribe a specific identity or reference mechanism, but they should be some way to cross link entities. Also see Containment. We format refs with a leading "@" and require a specific subset of ASCII characters be used: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, underbar, colon, dash, dot, or tilde.

Cheers,

Patrick

Pun Mum Mon 21 May 2018

Thanks John and Patrick !! This clarification really helps.

Login or Signup to reply.